Scrolling is the most provocative topic of discussion in web designing. The debate is constantly going on whether it is good to have a long scrolling in your WordPress or it should be avoided? There are fierce arguments on both sides. The major question here lies the correct answer and how to analyze whether it is good or bad? Or it simply depends on the personal preference of the web designer?
Long time back, we thought that the era of long scrolling had come to an end in web design. But as per recent trends of long scrolling in web design, it is found that in the upcoming years scrolling will be given more preference than clicking. Like every coin has two sides, long scrolling has pros and cons. Long scrolling feels natural and is easier than clicking. At the same time, little scrolling spaces out content and makes it harder to scan to find information while shorter scroll gets to the point quickly. But it may increase the bounce rates. It is admirable for sites that want to entice users with the apt use of storytelling, and you can still imitate the website by breaking the scroll into separate sections.
Why is Longer Scrolling Is In Trend
Long scrolling is offering massive opportunities to the designers. It engages the audience with attracting storytelling, compelling infographics and produces a more compelling and immersive experience. Here are some advantages of it.
1. Engage Interaction:
It can lead to more user interactions with the stimulation of changing elements. It is not long as clicking; it’s all about scrolling. It prevents the users from complex navigations when one is trying to develop something that suits both small and large screens.
2. Faster: Long scrolling is faster that clicking. It prevents the users from becoming lethargic and waiting for next page to reload. This ultimately slows down or restrains the user experience.
3. Ideal for Responsive Web Design: Different smartphones have different screen sizes. They give hurdles in the pathway of the designers to design the web page. Thus, long-scrolling simplifies things by creating a more smooth transition from desktop to smartphone.
4. Result oriented: Scrolling is a habitual action. If a user clicks on a new page, it requires thought and motivation. It is witnessed that long scrolling page takes people to quick action. It is considered as an ideal way to condense a business message into one exciting page.
5. Lures the end users: Think about you’re holding a smartphone or a tablet. You might feel contented while scrolling but if you’ve to wait for new page to reload then, it might be little annoying for you. In fact, scrolling may extend the time spent on the website and assist the users to create content easily.
6. Better content exposure: It is no doubt that long scrolling gives the high impression to the users. Long scrolling offers infinite scrolling and collects all your content on one single long page. A user can find everything in one single page in one short scroll.
7. Bigger room for creativity: It offers a creative way for promoting information. It helps in exploring the content in a unique way. It’s a step away from complex navigation.
Is infinite scrolling boon or a curse?
Like everything has a disadvantage, it leads to some major problem of the footer; wherein the user has to scroll the whole web page to search for any information which is available in the footer. This may irritate the user and waste the time. The next problem can be disorientation, which leads to navigation issues. It may drive the users hop few pages which are not necessary.
All in all, we can say everything depends on upon users expectation. If users goal are not fulfilled with it, then long scrolling is of no use. Although it has been declared useful by many websites. The only point to keep in mind is to apply best techniques to fetch best results. Because every website owner’s aim is to bring your users back to you.
We have been seen long scrolling websites in 2016. This is not very surprising for the users, and they’re continuously offering the best level of creativity to the designers and website owners. So here is the discussion about it.